The modern town of Akhisar is on the site of old Thyateira It was originally a Lydian town and only took the name of Thyateira in the third century B.C. after being captured by Seleucus Nicotor. It became part of the Pergamene kingdom after the defeat of Antioch us II in 190 B.C. and was annexed by the Romans at the samo time as Pergamum, This was one of the towns where Christianity spread quickly and it was one of the Seven Churches of the Apocalypse. Caracalla stayed here and earned the title of benefactor of the city ty the improvements he made. It was occupied by the Emir of Manisa in 1313, and in 1425 the plain of Akhisar was the scene of the defat of the Turkish lieutenant Cunait, who was fighting on behalf of a pretended son oi Beyazit L The city was then occupied by the Ottomans.